Basis of Presentation and Significant Accounting Policies
|3 Months Ended|
Mar. 31, 2023
|Accounting Policies [Abstract]|
|Basis of Presentation and Significant Accounting Policies||
Note 2 – Basis of Presentation and Significant Accounting Policies
Basis of Presentation
Our unaudited condensed consolidated financial statements include the accounts of Ranger Oil and all of our subsidiaries as of the relevant dates. Intercompany balances and transactions have been eliminated. A substantial noncontrolling interest in our subsidiaries is provided for in our condensed consolidated statements of operations and comprehensive income (loss) and our condensed consolidated balance sheets for the periods presented. Our condensed consolidated financial statements have been prepared in conformity with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America (“GAAP”) and the rules and regulations of the Securities Exchange Commission (the “SEC”). Preparation of these statements involves the use of estimates and judgments where appropriate. In the opinion of management, all adjustments considered necessary for a fair presentation of our condensed consolidated financial statements have been included. Our condensed consolidated financial statements should be read in conjunction with the audited consolidated financial statements and notes included in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2022 (“2022 Annual Report”). Operating results for the periods presented are not necessarily indicative of the results that may be expected for the full year.
Principles of Consolidation
Ranger Oil is organized as an Up-C structure whereby Juniper owns all of the shares of the Company’s Class B Common Stock which are non-economic voting only shares of the Company. Juniper’s economic interest in the Company is held through its ownership of limited partner interests, the Common Units, in the Partnership. Pursuant to the amended and restated limited partnership agreement of the Partnership (the “Partnership Agreement”), the Company’s ownership of Common Units in the Partnership at all times equals the number of shares of the Company’s Class A Common Stock then outstanding, and Juniper’s ownership of Common Units in the Partnership at all times equals the number of shares of Class B Common Stock then outstanding. The Partnership was formed for the purpose of executing the Company’s reorganization with Juniper into an Up-C structure. The Partnership, through its subsidiaries, owns, operates, and manages oil and gas properties in Texas and manages the Company’s outstanding debt and derivative instruments. The Company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, ROCC Energy Holdings GP LLC (the “GP”), is the general partner of the Partnership. Subsidiaries of the Partnership own and operate all our oil and gas assets. Ranger Oil and the Partnership are holding companies with no other operations, material cash flows, or material assets or liabilities other than the equity interests in their subsidiaries.
The Common Units are redeemable (concurrently with the cancellation of an equivalent number of shares of Class B Common Stock) by Juniper at any time on a one-for-one basis in exchange for shares of Class A Common Stock or, if the Partnership elects, cash based on the 5-day average volume-weighted closing price for the Class A Common Stock immediately prior to the redemption. In determining whether to make a cash election, the Company would consider the interests of the holders of the Class A Common Stock, the Company’s financial condition, results of operations, earnings, projections, liquidity and capital requirements, management’s assessment of the intrinsic value of the Class A Common Stock, the trading price of the Class A Common Stock, legal requirements, covenant compliance, restrictions in the Company’s debt agreements and other factors it deems relevant.
The Partnership is considered a variable interest entity for which the Company is the primary beneficiary. The Company has benefits in the Partnership through the Common Units, and it has power over the activities most significant to the Partnership’s economic performance through its 100% controlling interest in the GP (which, accordingly, is acting as an agent on behalf of the Company). This conclusion was based on a qualitative analysis that considered the Partnership’s governance structure and the GP’s control over operations of the Partnership. The GP manages the business and affairs of the Partnership, including key Partnership decision-making, and the limited partners do not possess any substantive participating or kick-out rights that would allow Juniper to block or participate in certain operational and financial decisions that most significantly impact the Partnership’s economic performance or that would remove the GP. As such, because the Company has both power and benefits in the Partnership, the Company determined it is the primary beneficiary of the Partnership and consolidates the Partnership in the Company’s condensed consolidated financial statements. The Company reflects a noncontrolling interest in the condensed consolidated financial statements based on the proportion of Common Units owned by Juniper relative to the total number of Common Units outstanding. The noncontrolling interest is presented as a component of equity in the accompanying condensed consolidated financial statements and represents the ownership interest held by Juniper in the Partnership (the “Noncontrolling interest”).
The noncontrolling interest percentage may be affected by the issuance of shares of Class A Common Stock, repurchases or cancellation of Class A Common Stock, the exchange of Class B Common Stock and the redemption of Common Units (and concurrent cancellation of Class B Common Stock), among other things. The percentage is based on the proportionate number of Common Units held by Juniper relative to the total Common Units outstanding. As of March 31, 2023, the Company owned 18,982,425 Common Units, representing a 45.7% limited partner interest in the Partnership, and Juniper owned 22,548,998 Common Units, representing the remaining 54.3% limited partner interest. As of December 31, 2022, the Company owned 19,074,864 Common Units, representing a 45.8% limited partner interest in the Partnership, and Juniper owned 22,548,998 Common Units, representing the remaining 54.2% limited partner interest. During the three months ended March 31, 2023, changes in the ownership interests were the result of share repurchases and issuances of Class A Common Stock in connection with the vesting of employees’ share-based compensation. See Note 12 for information regarding share repurchases and Note 13 for vesting of share-based compensation.
When the Company’s relative ownership interest in the Partnership changes, adjustments to Noncontrolling interest and Paid-in capital, tax effected, will occur. Because these changes in the ownership interest in the Partnership do not result in a change of control, the transactions are accounted for as equity transactions under Accounting Standards Codification Topic 810, Consolidation, which requires that any differences between the carrying value of the Company’s basis in the Partnership and the fair value of the consideration received are recognized directly in equity and attributed to the controlling interest. Additionally, based on the Partnership Agreement, there are no substantive profit sharing arrangements that would cause distributions to be other than pro rata. Therefore, profits and losses are attributed to the Class A common shareholders and noncontrolling interest pro rata based on ownership interests in the Partnership.
Significant Accounting Policies
The Company’s significant accounting policies are described in “Note 3 – Summary of Significant Accounting Policies” of the Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements in its 2022 Annual Report and are supplemented by the notes included in this Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q. The financial statements and related notes included in this report should be read in conjunction with the Company’s 2022 Annual Report.
Recent Accounting Pronouncements
We consider the applicability and impact of all Accounting Standard Updates (“ASUs”). ASUs not listed below were assessed and determined to be not applicable.
Adoption of Recently Issued Accounting Pronouncements
Effective January 1, 2023, we adopted ASU 2021-08, Business Combinations (Topic 805): (“ASU 2021-08”): Accounting for Contract Assets and Contract Liabilities from Contracts with Customers. ASU 2021-08 amends Topic 805 to require the acquirer in a business combination to record contract assets and contract liabilities in accordance with Revenue from Contracts with Customers (Topic 606) at acquisition as if it had originated the contract, rather than at fair value. As required, ASU 2021-08 will be applied prospectively to business combinations occurring on or after December 15, 2022. We adopted this update on January 1, 2023 and it did not have a material impact on our financial statements.
No definition available.
The entire disclosure for the basis of presentation and significant accounting policies concepts. Basis of presentation describes the underlying basis used to prepare the financial statements (for example, US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Other Comprehensive Basis of Accounting, IFRS). Accounting policies describe all significant accounting policies of the reporting entity.
Reference 1: http://fasb.org/us-gaap/role/ref/legacyRef